Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dodgers Game!!!

Saturday Night I went to my first real baseball game! (I went to one of Seth's cousin's high school games once and I went to Seth's other cousin's mini people -as in 7 year olds- game, but I've never been to a professional or semi professional game before...) We got totally awesome seats; on the third baseline and only a few rows up! We also got to park in the "preferred parking" so we seriously only had to walk like 10 yards to get into the stadium... And even though the team we were cheering for lost; It was all so Super Duper fun!

We had the Chamberlin's come with us and Lauren was kind enough to teach me a little about batting averages and stuff so I found the whole thing pretty interesting! Due to our camera's poorly timed death (may it R.I.P), and not wanting to bring my big honky tonky camera, i couldn't take pictures of all the fun (which is why I just have stock photos instead of fab photos of us). But it really was a blast... Rocco LOVED it! Turns out he's a real baseball enthusiast (or somethin like that...)


Partially through the game Josh asked what Dodgers stood for, like what were they dodging (The Law?, Border Patrol?, ect....).
So i looked it up! A little "Dodgers" trivia for ya... Where did the term Dodgers come from?
Well, as we all know, they were originally from Brooklyn, aka, the Brooklyn Dodgers. And around that time (about 1890) most New Yorkers routinely called anyone from Brooklyn a "trolley dodger," due to the vast network of street car lines criss-crossing the borough as people dodged trains to play on the streets. When the second Washington Park burned down early in the 1891 season, the team moved to nearby Eastern Park, which was bordered on two sides by street car tracks. That's when the team was first called the Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers. Which was later shortened to just the Brooklyn Dodgers and eventually just Dodgers...

So Josh, in answer to your question: Nope, they were not dodging border patrol or the law! Just trains and trolleys... Hee hee!

1 comment:

Ryan and Brittany said...

So fun! I love baseball games! Happy Birthday girlie!