Sunday, August 19, 2012

So-So, Sew-Sew

For Christmas, Kylene (Seth's mom) gave me a Sewing Machine. I think maybe she was sick of me always begging her to sew this or that for me. LOL!
Anyway, then Seth's Great Auntie Annie-Mart came to visit and in just a couple hours, taught me how to use my sewing machine! The woman is a GENIUS seamstress and has been teaching lessons for about 50 years now....
I haven't sewn a whole lot yet, but I'm getting there. I think every (Girl) birthday party we've been to in the past 6 months, the birthday child has gotten a home-made gift cuz I keep thinking I'm so great at this! hahaha--- SORRY Birthday Kids!

Anyway, here are my sewing projects so far:

1st thing I sewed: Zeegan's Easter Dress (and matching ballet slippers that wouldn't stay on cuz I made them too small)!



Then I made about 10 of these little shirts
(Birthday Gifts! lol. We had 4 little girl birthday parties in a row one week!)
This little shirt was actually copied (without a pattern, mind you!) after the little striped shirt pictured below; that I found online, fell in love with, and then saw the $65 (!) price tag...

Here's another one of those little shirts...


Then most recently I attempted to make a princess dress. Zeegan has a new little friend ("C") here in Texas who loves princesses almost as much as Zee does! C is especially fond of Snow White! So when we got invited to C's birthday party and found out she doesn't have a Snow White dress yet, we decided to get her one. But when I searched our local stores, I couldn't find any Snow White dresses. So I decided to make one and if it didn't turn out we'd go buy C a last minute baby-doll or something!
I think it turned out pretty cute though!

 I once more didn't have a pattern, so I tried just making one up as I went. But the first time I finished the dress and tried it on ZZ it wouldn't close in the back! Since ZZ and C are about the same size I knew that wouldn't do. So I added a large velcro inner panel and made it a lace up back (that button-hole function got put to good use Auntie Annie-Mart!). Now maybe it will fit for a long time cuz the laces can be loosened as C grows bigger.
 The skirt fell a little flat, so I copied the inner slip I made for ZZ's Easter dress and made one for the inside of the snow white dress. Then I just sewed it in.
 Honestly, on the inside I think the dress looks a little messy, but on the outside, especially on C; It turned out pretty dang cute if I do say so myself!

P.S- Notice the sleeves! I really shouldn't be tooting my own horn here, but I'm really excited... Those are the first sleeves I've ever attempted--- and I even did them without a pattern!
P.S.S- A little more Horn-tooting here; I took these pictures. Aren't they cute?! I think it's just cuz C is so cute, but I'm still excited with how they turned out  :)
P.S.S.S- Kylene just came to town for Rocco' birthday (post coming soon, I swear!), and while here she got me a Surger!!!! Get ready for some really awesome projects! (once I get me some patterns! cuz it's really hard sewing without a pattern... lol.)

11 comments:

Talisha! said...

Juli, this is amazing! I can't even tell you how jealous I am of your sewing skills. Seriously you should sell this stuff!

Christa said...

Are you kidding me?? Ya know your niece loves princesses too ;) seriously though Juli, all of your projects look awesome. You do have a talent for the sewing! And the pictures look great as well!! Toot your own horn all you want on this post girl!

Letti said...

Your a natural. I've been sewing for years and I still need a pattern. You go girl! I love the shirts!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing!! :-) I see that snow white dress in her closet every day and it reminds me of how AWESOME you are!! Seriously Juli, you're allowed to TOOT your horn all you want!!! It's perfect.

Ps--Teach me!!! :-)

Harward Family said...

One word AMAZING!!! Wow you are seriously so talented! That snow white dress is pure perfection! You are so talented. I am in LOVE with ZZ's shirt...So CUTE!!!!

Katie E said...

Those sewing endeavors take some serious skills or natural talent! wow! I'm super impressed!

Yerkes family said...

Holy moly! Juli, wow! I don't even try to do anything that complicated. you are so good at everything you do. Wonderful, beautiful. They look great. Love love the little shirts! Good job!

Aubry said...

That is awesome! You are quite talented. I'm totally wishing I had had my grandma teach me her sewing skills before the alzheimer's set in. I'm sure you'll be doing many more fun projects that we'll see in the future :)

The Davidsons said...

Are you kidding me Juli! You are so amazing. These projects are awesome. You just whip up your own patterns! I think I should never touch a sewing machine again after seeing all your awesome projects. Unbelievable =)

Lauren and Josh said...

Juli, you are so talented! I still can't believe you made everything without a pattern. That's amazing! ZeeZee and Rocco already look older--just in 2 months! We love and miss you guys! Let's facetime really soon!

Lauren and Josh said...

Oh, and Makenna wears her pink shirt you made all the time! Thanks again!